POOJA SHETHJI is an associate at Outten & Golden’s Washington, D.C. office and is a member of the firm’s Class & Collective Action Practice Group. She represents employees in a wide range of class action discrimination cases and wage and hour lawsuits. Her practice includes cases challenging age- and gender-based discrimination in digital advertising, the prosecution of wage theft claims on behalf of workers required to work off the clock, and litigation to enforce veterans’ and reservists’ rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
Before joining the firm, Ms. Shethji served as a law clerk to the Honorable Joseph A. Greenaway, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and to the Honorable Theodore D. Chuang of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. She also completed internships with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the American Civil Liberties Union’s Racial Justice Project, the Urban Justice Center’s Community Development Project, and the Center for Popular Democracy.
Ms. Shethji received her B.A. from Yale College and her J.D., cum laude, from New York University School of Law, where she was a Root-Tilden-Kern Public Interest Scholar and an Articles Editor for the NYU Law Review. Ms. Shethji received the Paul D. Kaufman Memorial Award for her law review note, Credit Checks Under Title VII: Learning from the Criminal Background Check Context, as well as the Schulte Roth & Zabel Prize for excellence in employment and employee benefits law.
Bar Admissions & Professional Activities
Ms. Shethji is admitted to practice law only in New York and District of Columbia.
Ms. Shethji is admitted to the following federal courts: The United States District Courts for the District of Maryland and the District of Columbia; and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the Fourth Circuit, the Seventh Circuit, and the Ninth Circuit.
Member, National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
Member, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA)
Member Bench-Bar Committee, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA)
Member, American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Panelist: "Attorney Use of Social Media," ABA ERR conference
- Panelist: "Public Interest Law Firms Panel Discussion," NYU Public Interest Law Center, Webinar
- Panelist: "The Promise & Threat of Artificial Intelligence in Combating (or Worsening) Employment Discrimination," National Asian Pacific American Bar Association 2019 Convention, Austin, TX
Awards & Recognition
- Washington DC Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2021
- Recipient, Paul D. Kaufman Memorial Award, awarded to a graduating law student who has written the most outstanding note for the NYU Law Review
- Recipient, Schulte Roth & Zabel Prize for excellence in employment and employee benefits law