CARA E. GREENE is a partner at Outten & Golden LLP in New York, where she represents employees and partners in litigation and negotiation in all areas of employment law, including equal pay; executive and professional contracts and compensation; lawyers as clients; discrimination class actions; whistleblowing and retaliation; sexual harassment; and discrimination based on disability, pregnancy, and family responsibilities. She is Co-Chair of O&G’s Pay Equity Practice Group and Family Responsibilities and Disability Discrimination Practice Group and is active in the Sexual Harassment and Sex Discrimination Practice Group, Financial Services Practice Group and the Executives and Professionals Practice Group.
In addition to reviewing and negotiating employment contracts and compensation guarantees, as well as severance agreements and other exit arrangements, Ms. Greene has litigated both individual and class action cases on behalf of a variety of employees including low-wage hourly workers, highly compensated professionals, lawyers, and employees in the financial services industry. She is a preeminent litigation and trial attorney who has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for her clients over the course of her career.
She is past-Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section; is an active member of the American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section (Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee); and is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association and its New York affiliate, NELA/NY. Ms. Greene is a frequent speaker at employment law programs and was formerly on the Board of Editors for the Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Reporter.
Ms. Greene’s representation and advocacy have resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and judgments on behalf of her clients.* Her representative cases include:
- Represents, with co-counsel, a certified class of female Vice-Presidents and Associates challenging Goldman Sachs’s pay and promotion policies in a case that recently settled for $215M^,
- Represents, with co-counsel, a certified settlement class of women and People of Color at Google challenging Google’s pay and promotion policies in a case that recently settled for $22M^,
- Litigated and settled a discrimination and retaliation lawsuit on behalf of a female Investor Relations professional at CVC, a large Private Equity firm;
- Prevailed at arbitration on behalf of a woman with claims of pregnancy discrimination and retaliation against her former employer, a large accounting and consulting firm;
- Litigated and resolved an equal pay lawsuit on behalf of a female professional at JPMorgan Chase;
- Settled a matter on behalf of a female associate who was sexually assaulted by a partner at her law firm;
- Mediated and resolved a matter on behalf of a group of Black professionals at a financial services firm with claims of race discrimination;
- Advised and negotiated an exit agreement on behalf of a C-Suite Executive who was leaving her publicly-traded company;
- Arbitrated and settled a matter on behalf of an equity partner at an international law firm with claims of discrimination and retaliation;
- Litigated and resolved a matter on behalf of a woman who had been sexually harassed by her company’s founder and CEO;
- Prevailed at arbitration on behalf of a partner with claims of promissory estoppel against his former accounting and consulting firm;
- Represented, with co-counsel, a class of female financial advisors at Bank of America with discriminatory pay claims, which settled for $39M.
- Represents a senior woman at Google with equal pay, discrimination, and retaliation claims in her lawsuit.
Ms. Greene received her B.A. in political studies from Gordon College, where she was an A.J. Gordon Scholar. She received her J.D. from Fordham University School of Law.
^Pending court approval.
(*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.)