Tenacity: Move forward with a persistent purpose, fortified by the knowledge that our cause is just.”
René S. Roupinian
RENÉ S. ROUPINIAN is a Partner of the firm and Co-Chair of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Practice Group, and a member of the firm’s Class Action Practice Group.
Since 2002, Ms. Roupinian has devoted 100% of her practice to the litigation of WARN cases, representing tens of thousands of employees who were terminated without sufficient notice in violation of federal and state WARN laws. The firm’s WARN practice is national and its WARN cases have and continue to cover a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, transportation, retail, mining, mortgage and manufacturing. A majority of the cases Ms. Roupinian litigates are initiated as class actions and are frequently filed in bankruptcy court as adversary proceedings.
Ms. Roupinian has been quoted on WARN law rights and her cases have been cited in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, American Lawyer, Associated Press, USA Today, Forbes, Newsday, Times-Gazette, The Herald News, and others. In May 2008, Ms. Roupinian, her colleague Jack A. Raisner and their client, Joe Aguiar, were invited to submit testimony before the U.S. Senate’s Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee by Senator Kennedy (Chair) about the WARN Act, on the 20th anniversary of its enactment, and its possible reform. Mr. Aguiar testified before the Committee.
Ms. Roupinian received her BA in 1989 from the University of Michigan and her JD in 1994 from Michigan State University College of Law where she was a member of the Moot Court Executive Board. She joined Outten & Golden LLP in August 2007 after representing employees in WARN Act cases at another New York firm. Prior to 2002, she was a partner in a Detroit law firm where she litigated ADA, FMLA, ADEA and race and gender discrimination cases on behalf of employees and class actions on behalf of homeowners, consumers and taxpayers. She has argued before the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court.
Bar Admissions & Professional Activities
A member of the New York and Michigan bars, Ms. Roupinian is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of New York, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and District of Colorado, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second,Third, Fifth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
Member, Armenian-American Bar Association
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Member, Alliance for Justice (AFJ)
Member, Michigan Bar Association
- Speaker: "Jevic and Structured Dismissals, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges," National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, Las Vegas, NV
- Panelist: "Jevic and its Impact on Settlements in Bankruptcy Court," 2017 Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, in conjunction with the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), Cincinnati, OH
- Lecturer: "WARN Act," 53rd Annual Midwest Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Columbus, OH
- Lecturer: "WARN Act Employee Claims and Their Impact on Chapter 11 Cases," 36th Annual Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, Kansas City, MO
- Lecturer: "Seeking Your Recovery: Pre-Judgment Attachment and Bankruptcy," National Employment Lawyers Association New York Affiliate, New York, NY
- Lecturer: "The Financial Crisis: Impact on WARN Act Cases," ABA Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee, Midwinter Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Lecturer: "The Financial Crisis: Impact on WARN Act Cases," New York County Lawyers’ Association, New York, NY
- Lecturer: "Layoff Law," Fairfield County Bar Association, Stamford, CT
- Lecturer: "New Causes of Action: WARN Act and ERISA," National Employment Lawyers Association New York Affiliate, New York, NY
- Lecturer: "Reductions in Force in Both a Union and Non-Union Setting," New York State Bar Association, New York, NY
- Lecturer: "Attacking Mass Layoffs," National Employment Lawyers Association, National Convention
- Lecturer: "Analyzing Employee Issues in Chapter 11," Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, Cincinnati, OH
- Lecturer: "Economy in Peril (Part 1): The Legal Landscape for Addressing Reductions in Force," American Bar Association, Teleconference
- Lecturer: "The Last Resort: What Labor & Employment Lawyers Need to Know About Bankruptcy," American Bar Association
- Lecturer: "WARN Act Specialist Offers Advice About Layoffs Amidst Tough Economic Times," Employment & Labor LAWCAST
- Lecturer: "Grasping the WARN Act through an interactive discussion addressing all the ins and outs," Tonkins Employment Law: Termination
Publications & Articles
Awards & Recognition
2014–2018 New York Super Lawyer
2015–2018 New York Metro Super Lawyer Top Women
2017 Law 360, Bankruptcy Practice Group of the Year