Fair Play: Our job is to guarantee that the most powerful corporations in the world respect their workers' rights, not just the bottom line.”
RACHEL BIEN, is a Partner at Outten & Golden LLP in Los Angeles, California, and a Co-Chair of its Class & Collective Action Practice Group.
Ms. Bien is an experienced litigator who has recovered millions of dollars in unpaid wages on behalf of her clients. She has represented tens of thousands of workers across many different industries in class and collective lawsuits. She was lead counsel in Glatt v. Fox Searchlight Pictures, Inc., one of the first cases to argue that interns should be paid for their work on behalf of a private employer.
Ms. Bien is committed to protecting workers’ rights under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and state and local wage laws. She has litigated and successfully settled many cases involving workers who were “misclassified” by their employers as “exempt” from overtime protections or labeled as “independent contractors” and denied overtime pay and other benefits. She has won motions against large corporations, and consistently advocates for interpretations of the law that advance the rights of all workers, including those who are most vulnerable to abuse.
Ms. Bien is an active member of the employment law bar. She is a member of the State Bar of California’s Labor and Employment Law Section, the National Employment Lawyer’s Association (“NELA”) and its California chapter (“CELA”), and the American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section. She speaks frequently on wage and hour topics.
She graduated cum laude from Brooklyn Law School in 2005 and joined Outten & Golden LLP in October 2006 after serving as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas G. Nelson on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
(*Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.)
Bar Admissions & Professional Activities
Ms. Bien is admitted to practice in California and New York.
Ms. Bien is an active member of the ABA Section on Labor and Employment Law, where she is a Track Coordinator for the 6th Annual CLE Conference and serves on the Section’s Outreach to Law Students Committee, as well as the ABA’s Equal Employment Opportunity Committee.
Ms. Bien speaks frequently on wage and hour and complex litigation topics, including joint- and co-employment relationships, class action settlements, mandatory arbitration and class action waiver issues, FLSA exemptions, and restaurant worker laws.
- Speaker: "Sucessfully Managing Large Cases," National Employment Lawyers Association, NELA Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX
- Speaker: "The New/Proposed FLSA White Coller Exemption Regulations," ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Speaker: "The Evolving Definition Of "Employee," NELA Spring Seminar, Protecting Pay, Representing Workers with Wage & Hour Claims, Washington, DC
- Speaker: "Uber Alles? Implications of the ‘Share Economy’," Institute of Judicial Administration, and Center for Labor and Employment Law, New York University School of Law, New York, NY
- Panelist: "Should the Law on Tipping Be Changed?," NYU Center for Labor and Employment Law, Panel on Tipping, New York, NY
- Panelist: "Are Unpaid Internships Still Viable?," ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 9th Annual Labor & Employment Law Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Speaker: "Wage and Hour Update," Practising Law Institute, Employment Law Institute 2014, New York, NY
- Panelist: "How to Effectively Maneuver Through the Ever-Changing FLSA Landscape," AMS and the New York Law Journal, Insights and Strategies on the Effective: Mediation of Employment Disputes, New York, NY
- Moderator: "Where EEO and Immigration Meet: Law & Advocacy," ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, National Conference on Equal Employment Opportunity Law, Savannah, Georgia
- Panelist: "Collective & Class Action Issues (Plaintiff)," FLSA/Wage & Hour 2013 Litigation & Management, New York, NY
- Panelist: "Will Work For Free: Breaking Down the Intern Economy," Housing Works, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Settlements in Wage and Hour Class/Collective Actions," Practising Law Institute, Employment Law Institute 2013, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Department of Labor and Other Perspectives on Independent Contractor Misclassification Informational Session," ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, Washington, DC
Publications & Articles
Awards & Recognition
2019: Legal 500 United States Recommended Labor and Employment Lawyer
2018-2019: Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyers
2015-2019: Recognized as a Best Lawyer by Best Lawyers
2017: Benchmark Top 250 Women in Litigation
2013-2017: Selected as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers
2011-2012: Recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers