Inclusion: We are committed to fighting to ensure that all employees are included and treated fairly in the workplace.”
Melissa E. Washington
MELISSA E. WASHINGTON is a partner at Outten & Golden LLP in Washington D.C., where she represents employees in litigation and negotiation in all areas of employment law, including individual discrimination and retaliation claims, sexual harassment, whistleblower actions, contractual claims, and wage and hour actions. Ms. Pierre-Louis Washington also handles a variety of professional and executive compensation and benefits matters, including the negotiation of employment contracts, severance agreements, and restrictive covenants. She is Co-Chair of O&G’s Family Responsibilities and Disability Discrimination Practice Group, and is also a member of O&G’s Discrimination and Retaliation Practice Group. Ms. Washington has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in 2017 and 2018.
Ms. Washington is a seasoned litigator with substantial experience representing plaintiffs in both individual and class action cases in state and federal courts, as well as before FINRA and administrative agencies. She also works with clients to avoid litigation where appropriate, and to craft unique solutions to clients’ problems through a combination of negotiation, mediation and alternative dispute resolution.
Ms. Washington is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the Washington Bar Association, the New York State and City Bar Associations, and the New Jersey State Bar Association. She is the Co-Chair of the FMLA subcommittee of ABA Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee. She is also the former Chair of the National Employment Lawyers Association's Lawyers of Color Committee.
Bar Admissions & Professional Activities
Ms. Washington is admitted to practice law only in the District of Columbia, New York, and New Jersey.
Ms. Washington is admitted to the following federal courts: The United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York and the Eastern District of New York.
Co-Chair, FMLA subcommittee of ABA Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee
Member, American Bar Association (ABA) Labor and Employment Law Section
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Former Chair, National Employment Lawyers Association's Lawyers of Color Committee
- Speaker: "Race and Discussion Series, Equity In The Workplace: Still a Civil Right," The Social Justice and Political Action Committee of the Washington Bar Association, Washington, DC
- Speaker: "Understanding the Complexities of On-Ramping and Off-Ramping in Financial Services," Council of Urban Professionals and the Robert Toigo Foundation Alumni Association, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Employee Performance and Termination: Key considerations under the FMLA and ADA," Live webcast
- Speaker: "The FMLA," American Bar Association, Section of Labor & Employment Law, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee Midwinter Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico,
- Speaker: "The FMLA 20 Years Later," American Bar Association, 9th Annual Labor & Employment Law Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Speaker: "Workplace Investigations Essentials: What to Know When Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Pregnancy In The Workplace: Employers' and Employees' Rights and Obligations," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Handling Requests for Leave and Religious and Disability Accommodations," New York City Bar Employment Law Institute, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Title VII Essentials," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Return to Work—If You Can! How to Use the ADA & Rehabilitation Act to Your Client's Advantage," NELA, 2014 Annual Convention: Blazing the Trail, Courage, Challenge, Change, Boston, MA
- Panelist: "Let's Be Reasonable: Questions, Concerns and Practical Considerations of Accommodating Employees with Mental Disabilities," The Association of Black Women Attorneys and the Metropolitan Black Bar Association, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Mixed-Motive Defense in Employment Discrimination Cases," Strafford Publications, CLE Webinar
- Lecturer: "Litigating Disability Discrimination Claims under the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008," Cordozo School of Law
- Speaker: "Representing People with Conviction Histories in Employment Matters," The New York City Conference on Representing Employees
Publications & Articles
Melissa Pierre-Louis Washington and Mikael Rojas, The Washington Lawyer, January/February 2020
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis, senior editor, Bloomberg BNA, 2018
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis, New York City Conference on Representing Employees, 2010
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis, NELA Employee Advocate, 2010
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis, American Bar Association Midwinter Meeting, 2011
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis, Employment Law Strategist, 2011
Cara E. Greene, Chapter 10 Editor, Melissa Pierre-Louis Associate Editor, ABA/BNA Books, 2015
Melissa Pierre-Louis, Section of Labor and Employment Law Flash, February 2010
Awards & Recognition
Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2017-2018, 2020-21
Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyers: 2020
Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion 2020