Inclusion: We are committed to fighting to ensure that all employees are included and treated fairly in the workplace.”
Melissa E. Pierre-Louis
MELISSA E. PIERRE-LOUIS is a partner at Outten & Golden LLP, where she represents employees in litigation and negotiation in all areas of employment law, including individual and class discrimination cases and wage and hour class actions. Ms. Pierre-Louis is Co-Chair of O&G’s Family Responsibilities and Disability Discrimination Practice Group. Prior to joining Outten & Golden, Ms. Pierre-Louis worked as a public interest fellow at Beldock, Levine & Hoffman LLP, where she worked primarily on labor and employment matters.
Ms. Pierre-Louis is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) and its New York affiliate; the American Bar Association; and the New York City and State Bar Associations. She is the Co-Chair: FMLA subcommittee of ABA Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee. She is also the former Chair of the National Employment Lawyers Association's Lawyers of Color Committee.
Ms. Pierre-Louis lectures and has written articles on a variety of employment law-related topics.
Bar Admissions & Professional Activities
Ms. Pierre-Louis is admitted to the state bar of New York and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Co-Chair: FMLA subcommittee of ABA Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee
Member, American Bar Association (ABA) Labor and Employment Law Section
Member, New York State Bar Association
- Speaker: "Understanding the Complexities of On-Ramping and Off-Ramping in Financial Services," Council of Urban Professionals and the Robert Toigo Foundation Alumni Association, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Employee Performance and Termination: Key considerations under the FMLA and ADA," Live webcast
- Speaker: "Workplace Investigations Essentials: What to Know When Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Pregnancy In The Workplace: Employers' and Employees' Rights and Obligations," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Handling Requests for Leave and Religious and Disability Accommodations," New York City Bar Employment Law Institute, New York, NY
- Speaker: "The FMLA," American Bar Association, Section of Labor & Employment Law, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee Midwinter Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico,
- Speaker: "The FMLA 20 Years Later," American Bar Association, 9th Annual Labor & Employment Law Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Speaker: "Title VII Essentials," American Bar Association, Webinar
- Speaker: "Return to Work—If You Can! How to Use the ADA & Rehabilitation Act to Your Client's Advantage," NELA, 2014 Annual Convention: Blazing the Trail, Courage, Challenge, Change, Boston, MA
- Panelist: "Let's Be Reasonable: Questions, Concerns and Practical Considerations of Accommodating Employees with Mental Disabilities," The Association of Black Women Attorneys and the Metropolitan Black Bar Association, New York, NY
- Speaker: "Mixed-Motive Defense in Employment Discrimination Cases," Strafford Publications, CLE Webinar
- Lecturer: "Litigating Disability Discrimination Claims under the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008," Cordozo School of Law
- Speaker: "Representing People with Conviction Histories in Employment Matters," The New York City Conference on Representing Employees
Publications & Articles
Awards & Recognition
Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2017